Bhagavad-gita As It Is, Nectar of Devotion, Nectar of Instruction, and Sri Isopanisad are four of the most important bhakti-texts. Our teachers are experienced devotees who have been studying, living and teaching Prabhupada’s books for many years. Under their guidance you are sure to understand the mysteries behind these books and progress in Krishna Consciousness.
Bhakti Sastri Modules
- Unit 1: Bhagavad-gita (Ch. 1-6)
- Unit 2: Bhagavad-gita (Ch. 7-12)
- Unit 3: Bhagavad-gita (Ch. 13-18)
- Unit 4: The Nectar of Devotion
- Unit 5: Nectar of Instruction and Sri Isopanisad
We recognize and issue Bhakti Sastri Certificate that is issued once a year (January/February) by the ISKCON Board of Examination to students who successfully pass the full Bhakti Sastri course and:
- Chant sixteen rounds of the maha-mantra daily
- Follow the four regulative principles for bhakti-yoga
- Provide a recommendation letter by a local ISKCON representative.
Please contact us for start date for the next course
- You must chant 16 rounds of japa daily and follow the four regulative principles.
- You must be recommended by an ISKCON authority who knows you well, certifying that you have been engaged favorably in the preaching mission of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu for at least the previous 12 months.
- The Bhakti Sastri course requires the students to read all the 5 books such as Bhagavad Gita, Nectar of Devotion, Nectar of Instruction, Ishopanishad and Srila Prabhupada Lilamrita before commencing the course. We can accept your registration on your assurance that you will read these books at least once before coming for the course. This is required because the course is interactive and conducted as discussions and other group activities based on the books. So it is essential that you read these books to be able to participate and fully benefit from the course.
- You must be 18 years or above in age.
Assessments are accomplished through tests on ślokas, closed book, essays and class attendance for every module as part of the standard assessment prescribed by the ISKCON Board for Examination. One has to pass all the assessments in the module to pass the module. A pass in each module is required for an overall course pass. And that will result in the student receiving a certificate of successful completion issued by the Māyāpur Institute.
Benefits of Taking Bhakti Sastri Course
In Chapter Thirteen of Nectar of Devotion Srila Prabhupada describes five potent forms of devotional service:
- serving the Deity with great devotion
- recitation of Srimad-Bhagavatam among devotees
- associating with advanced devotees
- chanting the holy name of the Lord
- living in the holy dhama.
He indicates that by engaging in these activities even a neophyte can make rapid advancement and experience transcendental ecstasy. In Caitanya-caritamrta Krishnadasa Kaviraja Gosvami describes that even a slight performance of panca anga bhakti awakens love for Krishna.
You can expect to increase in the following, after taking this Bhakti-sastri Course:
- attraction and attachment for reading Srila Prabhupada’s books,
- desire to preach and teach,
- compassion for others,
- how to work in team spirit
- taste in chanting japa and kirtan,
- effectiveness in giving classes,
- friendships with devotees,
- Krishna conscious realizations,
- love for Srila Prabhupada’s movement, the previous acaryas, and Krishna.
Words of Encouragement from Srila Prabhupada
Please continue to read the literature very attentively. Try to understand very soberly and you will feel ecstasy undoubtedly. The more we understand the spiritual literatures the more we become engladdened. Lord Caitanya has written ananda ambhudhi bardhanam. This means the ocean of bliss is always increasing. So continue to execute your duties with enthusiasm and patience, and I am certain Krishna will be pleased make you successful on all accounts.
Letter to Aniruddha, London 7 Dec, 1969